About Kerr County
Kerr County is fifty miles northwest of San Antonio in the Edwards Plateau region of south central Texas. The irregularly shaped county is bounded on the northeast by Gillespie County, on the east by Kendall County, on the south by Bandera County, on the southwest by Real County, on the west by Edwards County, and on the northwest by Kimble County. The county was named for James Kerr, an Old Three Hundred colonist and an important figure in the Texas Revolution. Kerrville is the county seat, and Ingram is the only other incorporated community.
In January 26, 1856, Kerr County was formed from Bexar Land District Number 2. Brownsborough changed its name to Kerrville and became the county seat. For several years the new county seat grew slowly due to its remoteness and exposure to Indian attacks, and in 1860 county residents decided to move the county seat to Comfort, a more well-established community to the east. Two years later, when Comfort became part of the newly established Kendall County, the county seat was returned to Kerrville.
The early twentieth century witnessed the beginnings of the tourist industry in the county. Religious groups found the pleasant climate and beautiful Hill Country landscape congenial for camp meetings. By the 1920s Kerr County had developed a reputation as one of the healthiest locations in the country, a reputation that led to significant developments in county health care and demographics. The county was attracting increasing numbers of retirees by the 1950s and 1960s, drawn by the available medical facilities as well as by the quality of life. The Hill Country setting of the county also attracted wealthy Texans and residents from other states looking for attractive sites for country homes. The county has also attracted numerous visitors with its opportunities for hunting and fishing.